Monday, February 8, 2010

God is Greater than Cancer

Nothing says the "Shadow of death" more than when you've been told that you have cancer. Seven years ago I was wheeled back to my hospital room after undergoing my first colonoscopy. I remember seeing my wife sitting in a chair by the window and she wasn't smiling. I asked if the results of the colonoscopy had been given to her yet, and she said they had. She said, "As a matter of fact the doctor just left." In the surest and most loving way she told me that I had cancer.

Several weeks prior to this hospital stay I had brought a few symptoms to the Lord in prayer. I noticed some discomfort near my solar plexis when I bent over to tie my shoes. I would get a little light headed standing up after reaching for something on the floor, and there was some rectal bleeding. None of these symptoms were consistent on a daily basis, but they were present long enough for me to seek the Lord on them. There was no answer to my prayers concerning these things that day.

Days later after a morning prayer time the Lord said to me in a clear manner,"That thing that is hiding in you I will bring to light." Immediately I knew this was the answer to my prayer concerning the symptoms I was experiencing. Instead of going to a doctor I was sure that God was taking me into His care. I did not know that I had cancer, but I believed the Lord would heal me of what ever was hiding in me.

Judi and I saw the Lord's hand moving in order to cut through the long process of consultation, scheduling of the surgery date and the anxious anticipation that normally follows such a revealing colonoscopy. It is as if He swept away all that was in the way to hold me back from receiving prompt medical care. Within a week of my diagnsis I was at Mass. General Hospital going through the pre-operation paper work.

The Holy Spirit gave me two words to cling to and live by before I was operated on. He said to "Submit and surrender." Now was a time of testing. How deeply did I believe that the Lord held my life in His hand? Was my faith in His promise an eternal faith? Whether I was to live or die was I willing to submit to His Lordship over me, and in all circumstances that were about to come my way would I surrender to His sovereign will? I had some fears but I simply said,"Yes Lord."

My first surgery was successful. The surgen removed a stage three tumor from my transverse colon. I had one "hot" lymphnode near the surgery site, so the doctors recommended chemotherapy. Between surgery and my first scheduled therapy complications developed as a result of the surgery, and I headed in for another operation. Submit and surrender remained my key words even though pain and wonder tempted me to launch off in an array of emotions, and carnal talk.

After nine days of living on ice chips I was finally released from the hospital, and glad to be heading home. Can you believe that the determining factor for my release; the very thing the nursing staff and I were patiently waiting for in order for me to go home was for me to pass gas? Ice chips and waiting are you kidding me?But the ruling voice that kept it all together for me was still saying, "Surrender and submit."

I am happy to report that I am cancer free seven years after my first opperation. My oncologist has recently reduced what I like to call the "preventive maintanance program" to a once a year visit for blood work. I want to tell you that God is greater than cancer! Some people have questioned whether He healed me or the opperation performed by the surgen. I say who am I to question His methods?

The fact is most people choose not to hear and believe that I asked the Lord in prayer about the symptoms I was experiencing. I guess they miss the part when He told me that He would bring to light, "the thing hiding in me." The words surrender and submit have brought me into a deeper fellowship with God espescially in the light of understanding His eternal promise. Are you ready to believe this testimony concerning the ways of God? Believe that Jesus Christ is who He says He is and leave behind dependancy on your own understanding.

1 comment:

  1. This is great! I like how you've incorporated your life experiences with the truth that God has given you to share! I think people will be touched by it and brought to a revelation of believing and living that truth! :)

    ReplyDelete

I invite you to comment on this blog or to ask me any question you may have about its content. Thank you for your input.